Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

139. Love Is All - Nine Times That Same Song (2006)

I'll be straight with you: if you can get through the first minute of this album without declaring it awesome, I don't know if we can be friends. For the first seven tracks of this thing I was convinced I was hearing the greatest pop and/or punk album of the decade: they're nearly flawless, each one a masterful construction of pop hooks and energy. Unfortunately the final three tracks are a real letdown; nothing in them comes to the incredible headlong rush of "Talk Talk Talk Talk", which I nominate for the greatest opening minute of any album of the decade. I was blown out of my chair when the guitar drops out and the backing vocals start in at around 0:40, and unbelievably the album was able to sustain this level of energy and creativity for almost twenty-five minutes, which is miraculous. "Ageing Had Never Been His Friend", "Turn The Radio Off", "Used Goods", "Busy Doing Nothing", "Make Out Fall Out Make Up" and "Felt Tip" are each fantastic, the combination of a bleating saxophone, harsh guitar and near-incomprehensible female vocals are perfect. It's like if X-Ray Spex and the Buzzcocks had a baby. Aside from that big drop-off in quality near the end, this is great.

MY RATING: 9.1

Love Is All - "Busy Doing Nothing"

No comments:

Post a Comment